There is a regular Sunday morning service commencing at 10.30 am each week. We have an ecumenical Cafe Church at St Andrew's Church Hall Bishopthorpe each Sunday evening at 6.30pm. This is an informal service led by young people with worship, games, discussion, prayer activities, food and drink.
Quench Café is open on Thursday mornings from 10 am until 12 noon, followed once a month by a short service "Quench Extra" and soup and roll lunch. Originally an ecumenical venture but open to all, this café is run by volunteers, money raised being donated to various charities.
Methodism came to Bishopthorpe in 1793 when preaching services were arranged for each Sunday evening and conducted in a kitchen to a class of eight or nine people. Methodism apparently did not take root easily, dying out in 1799, but was revived in 1820 when services were held initially in cottages but later making use of a granary on Main Street. By 1833 membership had grown sufficiently to warrant the building of a simple chapel on a plot of land off Main Street behind the Co-operative Stores. This original chapel is now a private dwelling as in 1897 a plot of land was provided on which to build a new Methodist Chapel at the junction of Main Street, Copmanthorpe Lane and Sim Balk Lane. This new chapel was opened on 12 April 1899 with a membership of seventeen.
The Methodist Church in Bishopthorpe continued and in the late 1980's when it became obvious that essential repairs and extensions were needed, a Development Fund was opened to finance the building of a church hall, inside toilets and a kitchen. This resulted in the opening on 7 May 1994 of our new Church Hall.
Co-operation and involvement with St Andrew's Church goes back to the early 1980's with many joint activities taking place. On 10 October 1994 a service was held at St Andrew's Church to confirm our Local Ecumenical Partnership and since January 1996 we have held a joint Annual Covenant Service at the Methodist Church with our friends from St Andrew's Church. This partnership continues to flourish.