All services usually held on church premises are currently suspended due to COVID-19.
Mondays 7.30pm — 8.30pm (weekly) Dunnington Community Choir — made up of church members and non church goers. They occasionally take part in worship.
Tuesdays 12noon — 1.30pm (on the 4th Tuesday of each month) "The Lunch Stop". This is a new venture offering a light lunch to anyone who wishes to come along. We are hoping to attract wide ranging clientele including walkers, workers from the nearby industrial estate and local residents. So far the "The Lunch Stop" has proved to be much appreciated by the increasing numbers attending.
Wednesdays 10.00am — 12 noon (weekly) "The Fair Trade Coffee Stop". This group has been running for several years and goes from strength to strength, often seeing a "full house" from new born babies to great grannies. As well as serving Fair Trade drinks and biscuits the Fair Trade grocery stall is open weekly. We also have regular bric a brac and book stalls and sometimes invite local crafts people to sell their products. Young children are well catered for with a large selection of toys and plenty of room to play.
2nd & 4th Wednesdays of the month -The Wednesday Fellowship. This was the Women's Fellowship until a few years ago but has changed its name to include men. Meetings usually include a speaker and afternoon tea.
Saturdays 10.15am — 11.30am — The Saturday Coffee Morning. This is a meeting which appeals mainly to the elderly, but is well attended by the local community.
The first recorded mention of Methodism in Dunnington was in 1768 when a contribution of 7 shillings was given to the Methodist Quarter Board.
In 1769 this was reduced to 3 shillings and on 22nd June 1770, at the York Methodist Circuit Quarterly Meeting, attended by John Wesley, it was reported that Dunnington had contributed nothing.
In 1791, the first Methodist Society was formed in Dunnington — part of York Wesleyan Circuit.
The July/August plan of 1809 shows services being held fortnightly at 2.00pm.
Between 1824 & 1846, premises were obtained in York St (now a private residence) and by 1846, 2 services were being held weekly at 2.30pm & 6.30pm.
In 1864 a plot of land was obtained for a new building on Town St. (now Common Rd.), but it took 4 years to overcome difficulties in securing the freehold.
In 1868 the foundation stone was laid by Alderman Hill of Fulford, who trusted that it would be,"a house appropriated to the worship and glory of God and for the benefit of the people of Dunnington, not only in this generation, but generations yet unborn".
Less than 20 weeks later, on 6th November, 1868, Dunnington Wesleyan Methodist Church was opened. This is our present building.
However, by 1968, the building was in a sorry state — the woodwork was affected by wet and dry rot. The enormous task ahead included renewing the floor, replacing rotten fixed pews with chairs, fitting new window frames, felting and re-slating the roof, complete electrical wiring and replacing the old solid fuel heating system with a gas boiler.
All this seemed an impossible task for the fairly small congregation, but thanks to their faith and determination the work was done and the building is still in use.
However, the church is once again in need of an update, and plans are in hand to replace the kitchen, provide more storage space and a stewards' room/vestry, and improve the insulation to reduce energy consumption