Due to the coronavirus outbreak, all church services are currently suspended.
West Thorpe Church has a multi purpose building and is very well used both by the Church and by the local community. We currently have 50 Church members and a number of people who attend regularly but haven't become members. The average attendance at Morning Worship is 32, most people being of retirement age but we have a few younger ones.
Our Minister, Rev. Andrew Lindley, is also the Minister of Acomb, Lidgett Grove and Holgate Churches and has pastoral care for all four societies.
Sunday Services are held at 10.30 am each week.
Family activities- all at 3pm
13th May — Family Film — showing a film that has recently been released to DVD
10th June — Make a Noise for God
8th July — Family Film — showing a film that has recently been released to DVD
Twiglets is a group for babies and toddlers and their parents and carers, and is held on Friday mornings during term time from 9.30 — 11 am. There is time for the adults to chat and for the children to play, and time in the church singing songs, having a Bible story and joining in prayers. There is also a craft activity each week. Please contact email@example.com for further details.
Film Club meets once a month, usually on the fourth Wednesday of the month. The film starts at 1.30 pm, and people are welcome to arrive from 1 pm. The dates for the next few months are:
Film club dates:
Make a Noise for God — Hands-on family-friendly worship
Make a Noise for God is a service aimed at families with children. There will be singing with an acoustic band, a craft activity, and a drink and cake at the end. All are welcome! We would particularly like to invite any families to come along and join us in making noise for God. Responses from a previous service: "Fun-filled family service where adults learn as much as the children", and "Our family loved it so much we all wanted to know when the next one was".
If you would like further details, please contact Becky: firstname.lastname@example.org, 01904 703 666.
Craft and Chat
This is a social group that meets on Monday mornings during term-time, from 10-11.30. Feel free to bring your own craft activity, to join in with what we are doing that week, or just come along for a cuppa and a chat!
Join us on 27th April and 29th June for a game of Boccia. It is like sitting-down indoor bowls, and is a lot of fun!
Methodism in Dringhouses
Methodism was introduced into Dringhouses in 1816 and a chapel was built on the corner of Slingsby Grove and Tadcaster Road in 1834. This was used until 1890 when a larger building, known as Dringhouses Chapel was opened on the same site. The last service was held there in 1954, when the building was put up for sale.
The present Church building was erected on West Thorpe and cost approximately £14,000. The new site was about half a mile from the former Chapel and on the west side of the railway in the centre of the newly built Dringhouses council estate. It was opened on 17th July 1954 by Mr. James Lofthouse, one of the loyal Methodists from the old Chapel. At that time the houses around the Church were full of young families and in the early days more than 200 children came regularly to Sunday School.
The new building was meant to be the first phase of the planned Church and it was hoped that a Sanctuary for Worship would follow. However, finances were low and problems with the new building were many. There was flooding in the basement, problems with the boiler and the grounds were overrun with docks, thick grass and other weeds. In 1966 the Trustees decided not to extend the building but realise capital by selling part of the land to the City Council. This facilitated the surfacing of a car park and a lawn and garden was laid.
In 1985 another room was added, primarily for the Sunday School, which was still attracting a good number of children. This was sympathetically designed to blend in with the original building and was opened by Miss Phyllis Lofthouse, a much loved Church member and daughter of James, mentioned above. Since then many alterations have taken place to make the Church lighter and more accessible for less abled people. An induction loop and loud speaker system has been installed in most rooms and the kitchen has been modernised.