Christmas 2020 will be a Christmas like no other for the Church. Has your church wondered what you could do both to worship and to share the message of Christmas hope with your community? Even if you haven't been able to meet physically, there are still things you could do to encourage one another and your community.
Here are some suggestions you could consider.
- Start off by praying individually or as a church about what you could do- or what God could do through you- this Christmas.
- Think about your church members- what will they be able to do? Who can do what? For example, if many are housebound or shielding, it would be good to do something they can join in with from home (making something, writing cards) while if you have a number of more active members you could consider something outdoors. Do you have someone who is a champion knitter? Or someone who loves carpentry? Can you use their skills?
- Think about your community- who lives there or works there, who passes through? What are their needs? For example, is your church building on a busy road where people will see window displays or an outdoor display? Are there elderly people who may be lonely at Christmas? Are there young families who might appreciate craft activity packs or a DIY Christingle?
- Check the guidance: if you're not sure if what you want to do is allowed, check the guidance on the Methodist website. Remember guidance may change before December so keep an eye on the news. You will need to do a risk assessment for activities in your building or grounds.
- Remember why we are doing this: it's easy to get wrapped up in the busyness of Christmas, or to get cynical, but try to keep the focus on Christ. That's the point of Christmas, after all!
Could you set up nativity displays outside your church- or even make an advent trail for people to follow?
Could church members knit angels to give to key workers, or to those who have lost loved ones this year?
Could you set up an 'adopt-a-neighbour' scheme to make sure no one is without someone to show them love this Christmas?
There are lots more suggestions in our Christmas resources packs- contact us for more information. You can also download a starter sheet from this page.